U.N. moves forward with Khmer Rouge cases
PHNOM PENH, Cambodia, March 6 (UPI) -- A U.N.-backed war crimes tribunal in Cambodia is moving forward with charges against former Khmer Rouge officials suspected of genocide, officials said.
Im Chaem, former head of a Khmer Rouge security center in Battambang's Preah Netpreah district, where an estimated 40,000 people died, is accused of participating in a plan to to execute perceived enemies of the regime, Voice of America said Tuesday.
She said she was visited last week by an investigation team, The Phnom Penh Post reported. "I denied all their accusations against me, because I did not kill people like they accused," she said. "Their accusations were not true."
Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen and other government leaders have not been supportive of moving forward with outstanding cases against five former mid-level Khmer Rouge leaders, cases 003 and 004, VOA said. The government has said the court should end its work when it completes the first two cases, involving three surviving top Khmer Rouge leaders.
The tribunal was set up in 2003 by the United Nations and the Cambodian government as an independent court. The U.N. says as many as 2 million people are thought to have died under the brutal Khmer Rouge regime in the 1970s.